How to Launch a Podcast That Will Succeed
STARTING YOUR OWN PODCAST | Speaker: Alex Sanfilippo
Before we get started, this is not a step-by-step walkthrough of how to launch a podcast. I’m not the most qualified person to speak to that. However, my friends are. Please take the time to go through each of the 7 steps below because they will help you SUCCEED as a podcaster. Once you’ve done that, go through this guide for getting your show launched: How to Start a Podcast: Complete Step-by-Step Guide
#1. WHY YOU SHOULD OR SHOULDN’T START A PODCAST
- Don’t start one if: You want to grow your audience, influence, or celebrity status.
- Don’t start one if: You want to make a lot of money being a creator.
- Start one if: You want to further develop know, like, and trust with your ideal clients.
- Start one if: You want to establish yourself as the authority on a certain topic/field.
- Ultimately it’s about serving people!
^ Not sure if you should start a podcast? Be a guest first to see if you like it! You can find great guesting spots on PodMatch. Here’s an exclusive discount link: https://joinpodmatch.com/alex. Also, if you do start a podcast, you can also find great guests on PodMatch!
#2. GET YOUR GEAR AND TECH RIGHT FROM THE START
- Dynamic Microphone (List of Great Options: https://www.sweetwater.com/c106–Dynamic, My Favorite: Shure MV7 USB)
- 1080p HD Camera (Recommendation: Logitech Brio 4k USB Webcam)
- Squadcast – For Recording (https://squadcast.fm + Coupon code: PODMATCHMONTH for 50% off 2 months of Pro and Studio plans)
- Buzzsprout – For Hosting (https://www.buzzsprout.com/promo – Use code 3FREE for 3 months free)
- Use Only Your Existing Social Platforms and Website
BONUS: Here’s my full studio walkthrough: https://podpros.com/setup
#3. DETERMINE WHO THE PODCAST WILL BE FOR & HOW IT WILL SERVE
- Start with WHY (Listen/watch this, Why You Need a Why Or You’ll Fail at Podcasting)
- Narrow your focus down to one thing (Listen/watch this, Who Will Be Listening to Podcasts in 2023)
- Create your avatar/ideal listener (How to Create Your Avatar)
#4. STRATEGICALLY LAUNCH YOUR PODCAST TO GAIN INSTANT BUZZ AND TRACTION
- Don’t do a pre-launch (Don’t waste your time, listen to this: Why You Should Start Ugly)
- Ask your friends via text to share the podcast with people they know.
- Make it feel human, avoid making fancy graphics and salesy requests to listen (Listen/watch this, Keep It Human)
- Keep it community-driven (Listen to this interview I did on the topic with my friend Michael Roderick)
#5. COMMIT TO SMALL DAILY ACTIONS TO GROW YOUR PODCAST AUDIENCE
- Reach out one-on-one to people who need what you have. (Listen/watch this to learn The Ultimate Podcast Growth Hack)
- ASK listeners to share the episode in a midroll on each of your episodes.
- Build a community around it. (Turn Podcast Listeners Into Superfans)
- Be a guest on other people’s podcasts (5 Quick Wins For Starting To Be A Guest On Podcasts)
#6. POSITION YOUR SHOW TO GENERATE LEADS NOT TO BE A REVENUE STREAM
- Create a singular CTA (Free access to Alex’s premium Podcast Call to Action Course)
- Bring on guests who serve your audience but are also ideal clients (Listen/watch this, Make $37k with Only 28 Listeners)
#7. KEEP THE RIGHT PERSPECTIVE IN PODCASTING:
- Do for one what you wish you could do for all.
- Seek to be a person of value, not a person of profit.
I have two final things that I’d love for you to do:
FIRST, Listen/watch this if you want to make it as a podcaster, 5 Reasons Why Podcasts Fail.
LAST, Follow/Subscribe to my podcast, Podcasting Made Simple.
“Thank you again for spending time with me at today’s webinar! It was truly an honor. My prayer is that something I shared added value to your journey. If there’s ever anything I can do to help or serve you, please reach out to me! I look forward to connecting with you again soon.” – Alex Sanfilippo